What Should Pet Friendly Extermination Solutions Provide?
Are you concerned that an exterminator’s efforts may harm your pet? Many pest control efforts do involve toxic chemicals. Pest control professionals have safe and effective methods to do their job while protecting companion animals, however.
The exact approach depends on the type and severity of your pest problem. In some cases, exterminators can apply pest control substances that are not toxic, or at least not toxic to any species but the pests they target. In other cases, pest removal pros may be able to use preventive techniques, such as sealing holes, cleaning gutters or drying damp areas to reduce the risk of future infestations, and therefore limit the need for pest control chemicals to be applied.
Here’s what you should expect from a pet-friendly pest-removal service:
1) Instructions on whether larger pets (cats and dogs, for example) should be removed during the procedure. You’ll be told when it’s safe for people and animals to return.
2) Notification of which areas have been treated, so you can keep an eye on your pets and shoo them away from affected spots until chemicals have lost their potency. This usually occurs a short time after the pest control treatment.
3) Instructions for protecting smaller pets that can’t be easily moved (aquarium fish, for instance). In most cases, this involves covering the living habitat.
4) Reassurance that modern pest control chemicals are highly targeted to harm vermin and remain harmless to other species. Products are applied in small quantities and dry quickly, so only pests are likely to come into contact with them.
5) Explanation of any alternative treatments to substitute for poisons, if your pest problem allows. These solutions can range from applying non-toxic substances that trap insects to preventive techniques that reduce future infestations.
6) Recommendations on where you can place any interim treatments (for example roach powders), so that pets cannot reach them.
7) Information to help you recognize if your pets are bothered by pests, for example, how to spot signs of bed bug or other bug bites in pets.
Clegg’s Termite & Pest Control is one of North Carolina’s most established extermination services. We have the expertise needed to protect your home from pests common to the state, and to ensure the safety of you, your family and your pets.