Steps to Take When You Notice a Tick on Your Pet
In many regions in the US, while stroking and petting your pets, small foreign objects will be discovered that are often ticks embedded in the animal’s skin. At about ¼ inch in diameter, a tick body is hard, round and almost flat.
The first time a tick is discovered, it may be confused with a scab, but most small scab-like things on pets turn out to be ticks. Pets spending any time outside in untreated areas are very likely to get ticks.
In the South East US, ticks are inevitable unless the pet never wanders from untreated areas. Ticks cannot be ignored, they carry Lyme disease and the bites become infected. Once a tick is discovered, there is a recommended process, and it is important to be prepared before the tick is removed.
A small jar of alcohol, tweezers and rubber gloves should be within reach.
Most dogs and some cats enjoy the stroking and contact involved with tick exams. Rubber gloves are important because ticks do carry Lyme disease and rubber gloves are protection. When a tick is found, complete the following process.
- With one hand separate the fur hair so the tick is completely visible.
- Using the other hand, grasp the tick with the tweezers and slowly pull straight out. The tick will not move once embedded in the animal. Tick removal is not painful if there is no infection.
- Drop the tick in the jar of alcohol. The tick will still be alive and you can see the little legs kicking. The alcohol will kill the tick. If the head or part of the head is left in the animal, that is fine, it will be broken down without any problems. The important thing is to pull out the tick body which is full of the fluid that will make the animal sick.
- Examine your pet for more ticks and repeat the process.
- At each tick removal site, treat with a dab of anti-biotic ointment or touch with hydrogen peroxide on a cotton swab.
During tick season, examining your pet frequently for ticks is important.
Pest control experts are able to help protect you and your pets from tick bites. A schedule of professional applications will not only help protect your home and garden from ticks and fleas but will also prevent infestations of other dangerous or annoying pests.
For pest control services, contact Clegg’s online or via phone at 888-672-5344 for a free pest control evaluation and quote.