If you have pets, you know how prone they are to picking up unwanted parasites such as fleas and ticks. At best, these are a nuisance that cause your dog or cat to scratch constantly. At worst, your family is exposed to diseases that fleas and ticks carry. Here are some tips every pet owner needs in an effective strategy to protect pets from these pests.
Over The Counter Protection
There are a few inexpensive products sold at pet supply stores that help to control fleas and ticks. You can also get such items from your veterinarian.
- Flea and tick collars. These don’t work perfectly, but they do help to repel pests.
- Flea combs. These are fine-toothed combs that will remove any fleas from your pet’s coat.
- Tick removal devices. Inspect your pets for ticks and only remove them with devices made specifically for this purpose.
- Flea and tick powder. There are a variety of products you apply directly to your pet’s fur several times per day.
- Foggers and sprays. These kill fleas, larvae and eggs. Be sure to follow instructions carefully to ensure that you use these products safely.
Keep Your Home, Yard and Vehicles Clean
Fleas and ticks thrive in the woods and in places where grass and bushes are untrimmed. By keeping your yard well maintained, you create a less hospitable environment for pests. Keeping your home clean and free of clutter helps to keep fleas and ticks away. Vacuum your rugs and clean your furniture frequently. Throw out the bag afterwards. Don’t forget to vacuum your car as well, especially if your dog travels with you.
Contact a Pest Control Service
If you have severe or stubborn problems with fleas or ticks, the best solution is to call an experienced pest control service. They can take a look at your home and recommend the best solution. They can safely and effectively apply a thorough treatment for both indoor and outdoor areas of your home. For professional assistance, contact Clegg’s Pest Control. Or you can call on the phone at 888-672-5344 for a complete evaluation of your home or business.
Image Copyright: ijacky / 123RF Stock Photo