- Stag Beetles currently house about 1,200 species with some growing up to 12 cm. The majority however are approximately 5 cm.
- They can be a variety of colors including yellow, orange, red, or black.
- They get their name due to their mandibles resembling the antlers of a stag.
- Males will use these “antlers” to wrestle other males over mating sites and food sources such as sap.
- Although their outward appearance may come across as menacing, it is very uncommon for Stag Beetles to be aggressive towards humans.