- The Big Dipper is the most common species of firefly in North America.
- Fireflies light up in order to attract mates.
- The male will use a series of light flashes to locate females, to which females will respond with delayed flashes. They typically run from 9-15 mm in length and are black, red, and yellow in color.
- Fireflies are not generally viewed as pests and in most cases are popular temporary pets to have.
- While collecting them in a jar might be a beautiful sight, studies have show that permanently keeping them will eventually lead to their death as they become stressed.
Contact Clegg’s for an inspection of your North Carolina home